Sunday, October 26, 2008

7 Pounds: Day 1

You only get one chance to make a first impression and I made a bad one. The first day of production was in Malibu. In fact the first two weeks were in Malibu shooting the beach sequences. Never having been to Malibu in my life I was late because I got lost. The next day I was on time but the third day the alarm to wake me up which was my phone, set to vibrate, fell off my bed and I never felt it. First thing Paul said was "strike 2. One more screw up and your gone." Halfway through the first week and I was almost fired. Those two weeks in Malibu were the toughest for me and I was starting to wonder if I would make it through the movie. Little did I know then that those would be the toughest two weeks of it all. I had to learn my job on the job and fast.

Catlin and I were asked to be there first everyday and last every night through out production. You could imagine waking up at 3:30am and driving from East L.A. to Malibu to be on set by 4:50am. We would wrap at about midnight but all PA's had to stay to collect out times from the whole crew and it took perhaps another hour for everyone to wrap up there equipment. The schedule was hell on my body and social life. I literally had no time but to come home, sleep and shower. Sometimes I traded a shower for 20 more minutes of sleep. My roomate can attest to that.

On the first day I was asked to bring someone a coffee with half 'n' half and Splenda. I had no earthly idea what half 'n' half was or splenda. I assumed splenda was a term that originated from the word surplus so when I found out what half 'n' half was I thought the person wanted a surplus or alot of it. A splenda of half 'n' half I thought. Hey what can I say? I'm mexican! We don't use splenda. I dropped the cup of coffee on the way to deliver it but not before I tried to save it with my shoulder and arm. I got burned bad and now I have a coffee burn scar on my inner shoulder and upper left pectoral muscle which i were with pride. A reminder of my first day of the first full-length motion picture I ever worked on.

No comments: