Saturday, October 25, 2008

7 Pounds: Cast and Crew







That's the trailer for "7 Pounds'' which to those who may not know was the first film I've ever worked on. To many it's just any other trailer but to me and all the men and women who worked on the film, it's something more. It brought back great memories and has inspired me to write. I wrote until I found myself with 12 pages worth of material. Thats a bit too much for anyone blog and to much to ask for you to read in one sitting. I wouldn't be able to do it myself so I've decided to split it into 7 parts.

Let's start with a boring run through on who did what and what each job consist of. On the feature I was a Production Assistant or a PA for short. A Production Asssistant is simply that. Those who assist in production. Our PA's were made up of the following clowns: The veteran, the leader of our group and no doubt in my mind a future 2nd AD, MIKE KING. The girl who never had a mean thing to say about anyone and living proof that not all blonde are dumb, CATLIN PICKLIN. The one who taught me all I know, my brother from south of the boarder, ISSAC MEJIA. The 30 year old rookie who did everything but his job and made me feel like I wasn't the worst PA on set, BOBBY MORGAN. The kid from Philly, GREG SANTORO. Last but not least yours truely. We also had some PA's we added on certain days that we needed more than we had. Honorable mentions are my boss's german cousin Sabena and Hiro, who only left because he had a Judd Apatow film he had commited to before 7 POUNDS.

The director is often mistaken to be the most important person on set but the 1st AD is. He makes sure production is on time and that everything the director asks for is ready. Our 1st Assistant Director was Jeffery Wetzel or JP for short. Then comes the 2nd AD which was Paul Schneider, my boss. There is even a 3rd AD but he is refered to as the 2nd 2nd AD. Don't ask me why. I have no clue.

Photobucket
Director Gabriele Muccino and I

Photobucket
JP and I


When certain folks find out that I've worked on a film with Will Smith, the first thing they like to ask is if I've met him and how is he. I did meet him and his a cool guy but he usually kept to himself and his peeps, his entourage. Dude had guest star friends showing up every other day such as Nick Cannon, UFC champ Randy Couture, Alfonso Ribeiro and Tom Cruise. All in all I never got star struck but I did get nervous the first time I met Rosario Dawson. I didn't get nervous because of who she was but because up to that point I hadn't dealt with the actors. It just happened that at that moment all the other PA's were busy and they needed Rosario on set. I happen to be the one nearest to her. Afraid of how to approach her I called her name. "Rosario they need you on set''. I pronounce her name in spanish like its origin and I think she found it cute. She smiled and asked for my name. I told her and we shook hands. On our way to set I confessed how nervous I was to call on her and she reassured me that I shouldn't be. She said ''I don't bite...too hard".

Photobucket

No comments: