Sunday, September 21, 2008

The only summer I've known

As the last day of summer arrives upon us I can't but remind myself of the summer I had last year. The summer of '07 saw so much change in environment for me. I went from a high school student to a film student in what seemed to be a blink of an eye. Yet thats not what stands out in my mind when I think of that summer.

One night while I surfed the web aimlessly I was surprise by the arrival of a friend I hadn't been talking to for reasons I can't remember because we use to fight often......I guess we still do from time to time. With not much more said then "let's go" I decided on going. Where I was going I had no idea and I don't think my kidnapper did either but I recall being thrilled not knowing where I was going. I can trace back that memory as being the exact moment summer began for me. As soon as I knew it it became a regular thing inbetween film school to take these little advanture to such places as the beach and denny's. There was something out of the ordinary in the ordinary things we did. It was out of the ordinary because it was things other people do but something we had never done until then. That summer I made two new friends through my friend, discovered Tiger Army and managed to almost get my ass arrested for trespassing.

Pink Floyd's "Darkside Of The Moon" became the anthem of our summer and you have not but to play that album in front of us to remind us of that time.

I have always been a sucker for not seeing a good thing when I have it right infront of me. I remember how at the time I wanted so much more then the summer we were having yet it was a summer like I had never had or will have again. There was something special about the mediocre summer we had. It will have a place in my heart for the rest of my life...or at least many summers to come.

No comments: